Friday, February 5, 2010

it feels strange to say that it's over.

Butterflies exploded in my stomach, flitting up by the thousands into my heart, lifting it up at a terrifying speed.
I was giddy, I was intensely nervous.
I was laughing madly. It made me even more light-headed
I spoke rapidly. None of it made sense to me.
Words, laughter, echoing in my head.
Resounding.
Making me sick.
I went through the next hour on the edge of my seat
Unable to think properly,
I was left staring blankly at the bubbled page
Mindlessly filling in bubble by line.
Time elapsed.

And suddenly I was there,
Standing anxiously with my elevated stature, awaiting the hour.
And thus it passed
With the shake of a hand, the exchange of a greeting.
My mind was unfettered, free of distraction.
I spoke with moderation, with the choicest of words.
I stumbled but dismissed it, continuing my verbal assault.
Minutes passed, but it felt like an eternity.
The second visitor arrived.
The briefest of greetings.
I extended my hand.
He did not notice. Or he did not care.
But I held it there, waiting.
Finally, he shook it and I spoke my name as he said something else.
Dissonance.
But I continued nevertheless.
My speech was not as eloquent as the first, though both
Spontaneous and different
But it ended eventually when I had run out of words.
He thanked me and left just as quickly as he had greeted me.
I didn't know what to make of it.
Didn't know what to make of this.
It was over.
Well, this, at least, was over. For now.

But it was not til a few hours later that I was dancing lightly (for my toes hurt exquisitely),
the sound of heels clacking rhythmically on tiled floor.
I was not alone in the foyer
but hidden from prying eyes.
From thence,
I was whisked away in the carriage
and I alighted on familiar ground,
toes still hurting.
I ascended the few steps quickly
and wrenched the door open
greeted by a draft of warmth.

I stared at my feet for a while.
I deliberated, stared lovingly at them.
I kicked the heels off hastily.




Congratulations to everyone who participated in Science Fair. That's about all I have to say, amazingly. We're nearing the end. Can you see the light in the tunnel?

0 comments: