Tuesday, April 20, 2010

So today was my interview with the editorial board. Yikes?

Actually it wasn't that terrifying.

They called me in twenty minutes ahead of schedule. That unnerved me a little. But it wasn't as unsettling after that. Though there were questions that I answered the way an idiot would. I knew the answer. Just couldn't process it without sounding like I didn't know a crap.

I can think of a thousand things that I could've said instead to some of the questions. I forgot to mention a lot of things, too.

Every time I think about it, I facepalm myself.

But I think that it went, overall, quite well. The strangest thing is that even though there were seven people in the room at the same time, all siting before me asking questions one by one, I didn't feel as scared and blindsided compared to the only two other interviews I've ever done in my life--for the literary magazine.

But anyway.

We'll see how this goes.

The plus is that I wore a dress, I guess. I thought it looked pretty good, and I was deliberating between my Bally black heels or the white flats I actually wore today. My aunt thought that was a terrible choice, but I thought the white flats went well with my overall dark grey/black dress and tights...

Hmm.

And she also asked me "what was the occasion" since it's not every day that you get to see me "dressing up." I told her it was for my interview to possibly become a page editor.

She said, very frankly, "Well, I hope you don't get the position."

She hopes I don't get the position I want since she believes newspaper is the cause of my 'wildness' and disobedience and general lack of motivation to do 'actual' school work.

As much as I love my aunt (which is a whole lot), I think there's a limit to these sorts of situations.

But eh.

Newspaper means so much more to me that I doubt people could understand. It is the only thing I can really see myself actually having the potential to do. That might change, but right now, this is one of the only things I that I have going for me that I actually love.

We'll see how this goes.

0 comments: