Thursday, April 1, 2010

[fashion] Raquel Zimmermann for Vogue Nippon May 2010

Being that I religiously follow Fashion Gone Rogue, I of course checked out Raquel Zimmermann's editorial for Vogue Nippon's May issue. And it elicited a 'wow' from me. Not a big "WOW!" but the sort that renders you in awe, if you get what I mean.

It seems like the majority of the comments at the end of the page were positive.

I don't think that always happens with editorials. I mean, maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem that often that you have so many good responses.

So I wonder. What makes THIS EDITORIAL so damn amazing? I like and tend to analyze these sorts of things. I think I could benefit from it. And it's just something I tend to find fascinating.

There are tons of editorials. Tons of the same concepts have been tried before (let's face it, everything has already been invented and when it comes down to it).

So... what makes this editorial draw a breathy "wow" from me?


Is it because of Inez & Vinoodh's photography?
That's certainly likely. I've always liked their work. Always. They might collectively be my favorite photographers, or at least in my top three.

Is it because it's Raquel Zimmermann?
Well, maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard (or seen) much of her in fashion news lately. While I may not stalkfollow up on her like I do with Freja, I do have to say that I've usually liked her work. So what about her makes this editorial golden (both in a literal and figurative sense)? She commands attention. There's something irresistibly powerful about her that really draws you in. The gaze. The strong facial features, strong everything. Whew.

Is it because of the styling?
YEAH. LOVE IT.

So when you put all three together (and also consider the spread layout, which I find nice), you've got this delightful package.

Oh, I'm such an amateur. If only I could convey deeper sentiments and analysis.

Check out the ed at Fashion Gone Rogue

1 comments:

amy said...

LOVE your blog.

very informative and inspiring

keep shining,<33
hope to hear from you :)
http://flyingakite.blogspot.com