Friday, February 3, 2012



Maurice Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte puts me in an absolutely sublime state of mind. It's a very, very beautiful piece that I just discovered a couple of minutes ago. I picture and imagine a flower slowly blooming and unfurling its petals and a quiet stream of moving water in transition between the end of winter and the beginning of spring.

I read about Ravel and am pleasantly surprised to see that he had this sort of connection to Debussy, my favorite composer, in that they appreciated the same type of music and are often compared to each other, though, as Ravel stated, "[Debussy's] genius was obviously one of great individuality, creating its own laws, constantly in evolution, expressing itself freely, yet always faithful to French tradition. For Debussy, the musician and the man, I have had profound admiration, but by nature I am different from Debussy."


0 comments: